In contemporary management theory and practice there is a scientifically grounded point of view that tourism is a complex multidimensional system that must be studied from various aspects if a harmonised development towards millennium goals is to be expected. That attitude is supported by this PhD programme which features courses that acquaint students with the environmental, economic, socio-cultural, health and kinesiological,communicological and politicological aspects of development, which form a holistic and comprehensive approach to sustainable development.
The purpose of the doctoral study programme is the development of science and science-based critical thinking in general, as well as that of the science in management and management of sustainable development applied in tourism. Apart from that, this programme emphasizes the training of young future experts to accept the scientific discoveries in social sciences, management and business, as well as in the applied scientific disciplines in tourism, sustainable development and responsible tourism. The implementation of acquired scientific discoveries has a goal of advancement of scientific and theoretical knowledge and the increase of influence of science on society as a whole. The purpose of this study programme is grounded in the leading documents and decisions of the world, European and national organisation, state bodies and institutions. Tourism is recognised as one of the leading developmental powers in Serbia and the world in general, as its multiplying effects contribute to the overall development, especially the realisation of the principle of sustainable and responsible development.
The purpose of the study programme is to contribute to the raising of awareness of professional and scientific public with the goal of monitoring and researching the science in management and applied disciplines enabling the public presentation and practical application of the results. Experience and discoveries about the tendencies in the world show that it is the very fields of tourism and sustainable development, responsible tourism, leisure activities, culture, wellness and complementary fields that are undergoing an intensive development, both in practice and with regard to theory and methodology.
It is precisely the science in the field of management and business that has the task of improving the research methodology in the direction of a better and more argumented implementation of scientific results, advancement of work, realisation of better multiplification effects of tourism and complementary sectors on the mitigation of negative occurrences in the global area and those that affect humans, all in accordance with sustainable development. Improvement of work technology and management of processes and systems in mentioned fields should be grounded in scientific research and information that are successfully implemented in everyday practice. Based on the work, results and experience gained so far, in addition to executing the new programme of doctoral studies, the Faculty continues, by means of executing the new programme of doctoral studies, to be professionally competent to educate experts in the field of applied management in tourism and sustainable development, along with the complementary sectors. These experts would be leading professionals in the country, professional bodies, scientific institutions, large systems, (destinations) and business systems. The students are taught to critically think, independently lead scientifically relevant research that open new possibilitiesin tourism from the point of view of science and technology and development of society as a whole. The purpose of the programme is also to set up a cooperation among the scientific-educational institutions, with the students trained for scientific and professional teamwork, the application of obtained results for practical problem solving and the increase of scientific production in this sphere.
The doctoral study programme of management of sustainable development in tourism contains several courses that aim to achieve the attainment of scientific cabailities and academic skills of doctoral students, which is visible in the programmes of theoretical-methodological courses. The development of creative capabilities and mastering of specific practical skills necessary for further career development is another goal of the programme realised through planned activities of the students on acceptance and application of scientific methods, systematic thinking, critical analyses of reality and tendencies, elaboration of independent research. In addition to that, one of the goals is also to develop scientific cooperation on an international level by means of exchange of teachers and doctoral students, development of research and scientific projects, as well as work on their implementation in practice.
The goals of the PhD study programme are harmonised with the latest global trends in development of the scientific discipline of management, which is reflected in the programme structure and the inclusion of courses that aim to develop knowledge on sustainable and responsible development, ethical, culture and health aspects of development that are an integral part of all plans, goals and strategies of global development including global tourism development as drawn by the UN, World Economic Forum, World Tourist Organisation and other organsiations and institutions.
Phd studies I year
Methodology of Scientific Research
Quantitative and Qualitative Methods in Scientific Research
Theories and Strategies in Tourism
Block of optional courses 1 (1 of 2 is chosen)
International Business Processes and Tendencies
Change Control in the Function of Responsible Management
Block of optional courses 2 (1 of 3 is chosen)
Communication Management in Tourism
Political Aspects of Sustainable Development
Environmental Management in Tourism
Phd studies II year
Contemporary Models of Destination Management
Block of optional courses 3 (1 of 3 is chosen)
Kinesiological Aspects of Tourism
Socio-Cultural Aspects of Tourism
Quality of Life and Health Aspects of Tourism
Block of optional courses 4 (1 of 3 is chosen)
Strategic Partnerships and Inter-Sectoral Connectivity
Organizational Culture and Ethical Aspects of Management
Human Capital and Bussiness Excellence
Evidence of Scientific Activity
Drafting a Doctoral Dissertation
Phd studies III year
Doctoral Dissertation Project Defense
Research and Doctoral Dissertation
Doctoral Dissertation Defense
- Mastering the methodological and theoretical knowledge required for inclusion in the scientific activities and contribution to the development of management science, and management applied in the field of tourism;
- Training for independent practice of scientific research and publishing papers in scientific journals, as well as research in advisory (consulting) agencies, research units, institutes or universities, through mentoring and consulting work in progress of independent scientific research;
- Independent or group transferring of knowledge in practice, solving practical problems related to the implementation of scientific knowledge in management applied to tourism and sustainable development by applying the theoretical knowledge and skills of researchers in large business systems (on destinations, hotels, hotel chains, other business systems in which, among other things, tourism occurs – national parks, archaeological sites, sports and recreation centres, spa centres, etc.);
- Acquiring knowledge needed for scientific research, and the ability to participate in the international research projects through the projects of the Faculty;
- Training to be critical, systematic, creative and to apply, but also create their own new methods and models of sustainable development, while respecting the fundamental principles of ethical codes of good scientific practice;
- Applying the knowledge and achievements beyond the professional level and communicate results in scientific conferences and events, research published in scientific journals, thereby contributing to the development of scientific disciplines and science in general.
- Mastering the study program, students acquire subject- specific competencies:
- In-depth knowledge and understanding of the scientific aspects of management and special disciplines of tourism and sustainable development, and an understanding of the value of scientific approaches to the process;
- Independently solve problems using scientific methods and procedures;
- Acceptance of the system and the process of thinking in order to understand the interdisciplinary tourism and sustainable development, system dynamics and interconnectedness;
- Linking basic knowledge in various fields (economics, management, ecology, sociology, culture, communication, kinesiology, etc.) related to the management of sustainable tourism development and their application in practice;
- Recognizing the needs for continuous monitoring of the contemporary achievements in this field.
- PhD candidates have the opportunity to continue the research in the framework of research institutions and projects funded by the Ministry of Science, Ministry of Economy and Regional Development, Secretariat for Economic Affairs or governmental and non-governmental vocational institutions.
There is a possibility of inclusion in the international projects financed by international scientific institutions and foundations. A number of PhDs can be included in the regular procedures for the selection of staff or teachers for certain courses from the curriculum. It is expected that with the development of the scientific thought in the field of the tourism management, there will emerge new research centres and institutes that will employ PhDs and thereby contribute to the development of science and scientific results.